Subscribe in iTunes!
Listen on your Smart Phone in Stitcher!
Martin Smallwood from Tick Performance on
Everything It Takes to Spec an LS Cam!
In this episode John and I had the chance to do get some serious insight on the topic of how to spec a cam. We interviewed Martin Smallwood from Tick Performance, a speed shop in Mount Airy, NC. John had a hunch that Martin would be just the person to talk to about this…..and he was right (and then some)!
During the interview Martin walked through the bazillion questions one needs to go through when ordering a cam for a specific application (and he even has a handy form on their website to walk you through it as well). Long story short, simply knowing what which motor you plan to use and knowing your target power rating are just the beginning of the discussion!
Here are a few questions Martin walked us through:
- EFI or Carburetor?
- Header Primary & Collector Sizes?
- Manual or Automatic Transmission?
- Rear Gear Ratio?
- Raceweight of Vehicle?
- Miles Driven Per Year?
- Idle Quality Wanted?
- Desired Peak Horsepower RPM:
- Maximum RPM You’re Willing to Turn?
- Forced Induction?
- Single Bolt or 3 Bolt Camshaft Core?
Thanks for the interview, Martin!
- LSX Podcast 22: Our Feature Interview with Jim Moran, Head Tuner for Speed Inc – Everything It Takes To Tune an LS Motor for New and Old Rides!
- LSX Podcast #15 – Lingenfelter Performance Nats Recap and Power Adder Talk: NOS, Turbos, and Blowers!
- The MuscleCar Place Podcast – Episode #106 – George Kook Jr and Kook’s Custom Headers
- TMCP Podcast #140 – Tanner Fritz Takes Muscle Cars to the Cloud with My Classic Garage!
- LSX Podcast #21: COPO Camaro #69 Sells for $400,000, GM Moves Performance Build Center to Kentucky, and Beyoncé’s Missing 2014 Corvette!